Types of Indian VISA and Their Process

types of indian visa and their process

In order to travel to India, the citizens of most countries require the Visa that represents the purpose of their visit. It can be for visiting friends, traveling, business, research, diplomatic activities and journalistic purposes. Everyone who needs to enter India needs a Visa and there are many categories of Indian Visa.

The Indian government has changed some of the rules of Indian Visa types recently and they are effective from April 1, 2017. With our guide of Indian Visa you can find all about the Visa types and who can apply for those. Given below a list of Indian Visa types available now.

Tourist Visa

Tourist Visas are issued to a foreigner with preplanned travel schedule which is supported by the return ticket. It can be granted to anyone who wishes to travel to India to visit the tourist places like Taj Mahal or Red Fort or plans to go sightseeing with friends. Tourist Visa is granted for a period for 180 days at once. In late 2009 Indian government introduced the rule of two months gap between the visits on the tourist Visa and in 2012 they removed this rule but it still applies to the nationals of certain countries (Afghanistan, China, Iran, Pakistan, Iraq, Sudan, Bangladesh, and foreigners of Pakistan origin and Bangladesh origin and stateless persons).

India now offers the e-Visa for the citizens of most countries. The visitors can now apply for Visa online under this scheme and get the stamp for entry when they first arrive in this country. The e-Visa India is valid for 60 days and allows the two entries.

Entry Visa (X Visa)

Earlier the X Visa was provided to the people who didn’t qualify for any other type of Indian Visa. But after mid-2010 the X Visa is only available to following people:

  • The Indian origin foreigner.
  • The children or spouse of a foreigner of Indian origin or Indian citizen.
  • The spouse or dependent children of a foreigner coming to India on an Employment Visa or Business Visa.
  • The foreigners who wish to join the spiritual communities like ashrams or Buddhist monasteries.
  • People who are participating in professional international events.

The X Visa can be extended while you are in India, there is no need to leave every six months to extend it. But one cannot work in India on an X Visa. Foreigners who wish to stay longer than six months on X Visa needs to register at with Foreigners Regional Registration Office.

Employment Visa

The Employment Visas are offered to the individuals who wish to work in India with the companies that are registered in India. The foreign nationals who opt for the long-term volunteer work in India can now avail the employment Visas (earlier it was X Visa). These employment visas are generally granted for a year and they can be extended in India.

While applying for an employment Visa you must have the proof of employment with a company in India. The Salary of the people to apply for employment Visa needs to be equal to or more than $23,000 per year. Some exceptions for the salary are made for volunteers, ethnic cooks, non-English language teachers, translators and members of foreign High Commission and Embassies.

Intern Visa (I Visa)

This is a new category of Indian Visa, earlier it was under the employment Visa. It is granted to foreigners who wish to pursue an internship with an Indian company. If the foreigners meet certain conditions they can be granted the Intern Visa.

The gap between the graduation and the commencement of the Internship must not exceed one year. The Intern Visa is valid for the period of the internship or a year, whichever is less. It cannot be converted to any other Visa types.

Business Visa

Business Visa is available for the persons who are looking for business opportunities within India. It is granted to the persons of assured financial standings along with the sufficient proof of his financial standings and the expertise in the field of business. It is different from the Employment Visa as the applicant won’t be working for the Indian company. They are required to present with a letter from the company with which they are doing the business and the duration of stay along with some other things.

These Visas are valid up to 10 years and allow multiple entries for the persons. But the Visa holders cannot stay more than 180 days in India at a time. To do that they have to register with the Foreign Regional Registration Office.

Student Visa

If you wish to study in India you can apply for the Student Visa and you can study long-term in India at a recognized educational institution. You will require the registration papers with the institution for applying for this Visa. You can avail the Student Visas for the period of your education or up to five years and they can be extended in India.

You can use this Visa to study anything like Yoga, music, dance or anything. Most Yoga centers in the country will require you to have a student Visa to study yoga.

Conference Visa

The foreign delegates who want to attend conferences in India can apply for conference Visa offered specifically for that. If you are attending a conference hosted by a private organization then you have to apply for a business Visa.

Journalist Visa

The Journalist Visa is for the Professional Journalists and Photographers. The main point of this is that you’ll get access to a particular event or place or person with this. They are valid for only 90 days but they are extremely difficult to get, so only apply if you really need one.

If you work for a media company or you provide your job as a photographer or journalist on the Visa application, you’ll only get the Journalist Visa even if you are not on a business trip. Because India is very sensitive and careful about the media persons who travel to India.

Film Visa (F Visa)

This is also a new category which was effective from April 1, 2017. So you are intending to make a TV show or film in India you’ll need to apply for this Visa type. This application of your Visa is reviewed by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting within 60 days and you can get the Visa up to a year.

If you are planning to make an advertisement or documentary you need to file for the Journalist Visa.

Research Visa

These Visas are reserved for the professors and scholars who intend to visit India for research purposes. It is one of the most difficult Visas to get in India and it comes with a lot of requirements. The application for this kind of Visa are sent directly to the Department of Education and it also needs the approval of the Ministry of Human Resource Development which could take up to three months to approve.

There are people who apply for tourist Visa instead but they’d have to conduct research informally and cannot stay more than 180 days.

Medical Visa

This is a special type of Visa for the people who are seeking long-term medical treatment in India at officially recognized hospitals or treatment centers. You cannot get medical Visa for minor treatment, the treatment should be significant in nature for the Visa to be granted such as Neurosurgery, organ transplant, joint replacement, plastic surgery, heart surgery, and gene therapy. You can get two medical attendant Visas to accompany the patients. For the people who are undergoing short-term treatment of up to 60 days can apply for the e-Medical Visa.

Transit Visa

If you are planning for staying less than 72 hours can avail the transit Visa. If you are planning for more than 72 hours then you’ll require a tourist Visa. Before applying for the Visa you need to present confirmed airline booking for the journey.

Other Visa

There are some other Visa types are also available which are less used and those are Sports Visas, Mountaineering Visas, Diplomatic Visas, and Missionary Visas.

Leave a Reply