India offers some of the world’s most satisfying and extreme travel experiences. For Canadians travelling to India, it can be a culture shock that can lead to the feeling of disorientation. So in order to avoid all this, let’s first have a look at the few facts and figures.
Canada, the second-largest country in the world, has the area of around 10-million square kilometres whereas India is around one-third of that size. Contrary to this, Canada has 35.5 million citizens while India has this much population in its two cities alone- Delhi and Mumbai.
Canada and India have age-old bilateral relations and there are 1.9 million people living in Canada of Indian heritage. Every year a large number of Canadians visit India for different purposes.
Indian Visa for Canadian Citizens
Now, you have an idea about what to expect when in India but to travel around, you are going to need a visa. Here you will get to know about what it is all about getting an Indian visa for Canada residents.
For all the nationalities including Canadian citizens, it is important to apply for a visa before travelling to India. With the implementation of e-visa India facility, the application process is no more a hassle. You can easily acquire it through the online process while sitting at home.
For every nation, there are different conditions that must be met in order to obtain a travel permit without any inconvenience. The online application form needs to be filled at least 4 days before the date of travel. In order to avoid the unexpected delays, apply 15 days before the date of travel.
- To apply for the e-visa, you will need:
- A passport that stands valid for six months from the date of arrival in India.
- Latest passport size photo.
- Other documents as per the visa type you are applying for.
- Normally the visa processing takes 3-7 days, however, Canada and India share prosperous relations from last several years. Hence you can expect faster processing if you are from Canada.
- You can also apply for the emergency visa if there is any sort of urgency to visit India provided you have submitted the documents showing the reason for the same. Under such situations, the processing will be done with 24-36 hours.
- If you have a refugee travel document and don’t have a passport then you can contact the Indian consulate as you will need a passport to apply through the online process.
- The e-Tourist and e-Business Visa is valid for one year and you can make multiple entries. However, continuous stay during each visit shall not exceed 180 days in any case. In the case of e-Medical visa, the duration of stay is 60 days and triple entries can be made.
- Make sure to keep a printed copy of ETA along with the passport on your trip to India.
Note:"The documents to be uploaded must be as per the specifications mentioned by the Indian Government."
Canadians in India: What to Know Before Travelling
If you are planning to join the 300,000-plus Canadians travelling to India this year, this guide can help you have a hassle-free and safer experience.
- Along with the passport, Canadians will need a travel visa that should be obtained before arrival. Also, the application process for the same has become easy as it can be done online now.
- Make sure you see a doctor before you leave for India as the health care services there, are different in urban and rural areas. In urban cities, you will find reliable medical services but taking prevention is always better.
- Keep sufficient cash along with you as if you want to purchase from the roadside sellers or small shops, you are going to need that. However, you will still be able to swipe the cards in big showrooms and malls.
- India has a variety of options when it comes to satisfying your taste buds. The food is delicious no doubt, but due to the change in environment, your stomach might get upset, so eat what suits you.
- In India, the English language is also acceptable, still, it is never bad to learn some common phrases in Hindi, the official language of the country. Phrases like ‘theek-theek lagalo’, ‘kitne ka hai’ will help you negotiate and prevent you from getting fooled while shopping in India.
- Even if India is smaller than Canada, still there is so much to see and explore. With the availability of domestic flights, you can easily hop from one city to another. This way you can see more of India within a short span.
- Know the emergency numbers when you are in India as 911 is not going to work everywhere. Police can be reached by dialling 100 and for ambulance services, dial 102.
- India’s major cities are very populated so don’t get surprised when you find yourself surrounded by a large crowd rushing from one place to other. Be ready to take and give some pushes to get out of the crowds.
- Saying ‘No’ is never a bad choice while in India. People will try to sell you anything, you just have to repeat ‘No, thank you’ as some will follow you up to a distance.
- You can find India overwhelming in terms of pollution, people blowing horns, calls to prayer, different smells, but this is not the case everywhere as you will also find some scenic places to travel and relax.
Make sure you get all the arrangements done in advance so as to avoid any inconvenience. India is a great country to visit and explore, just apply for the online visa, pack your bags and an exotic trip is waiting for you.
Need Help 24/7
- E-Tourist visa
- E-Business Visa
- E-Medical Visa
- E-Tourist Visa For UK Citizens
- E-Visa for USA Citizens
- E-Visa for Canadian Citizens
- E-Visa Chinese Citizen
- E-Visa For UAE Citizens
- E-Medical Attendant Visa
- E-Conference Visa to India
- India Visa for Japanese
- India Visa for German
- India Visa for Australian Citizens
- India Visa for French